97 Third Avenue; 93-97 Third Avenue | Block : 468 | Lot #4
Description & Building Alterations
These three, five-story Old Law tenements were originally built as part of a row of seven with the four to the north at 99-105 Third Avenue. They were constructed in 1881 for owner Samuel Simmons and designed by Henry J. Dudley. Although stripped of their original brownstone Neo Grec detail, they still retain their original fenestration. As the neighborhood changed, and the demand for housing shifted from family apartments to rooms for rent for the working class, the use of the building also changed. In 1928 the apartments on the second through fifth floors were converted from tenement apartments into furnished rooms, with room to sleep 15 people per building. In 1969 the building was converted back into apartments, although each was much smaller than any of the original apartments. The original brownstone facade and details have been removed, along with the cornice and raised-stoop entrance.
Block : 468 / Lot : 004 / Building Date : 1881 / Original Owner : Samuel Simmons / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Henry J. Dudley