205 Second Avenue | Block : 468 | Lot #35
Description & Building Alterations
While the original building was constructed circa 1862 with the other single-family row houses that extended from the corner of East 13th Street and Second Avenue through to 197 Second Avenue, this second building in that row has been completely altered. Likely converted from a single-family residence in the 1890s, by 1904, the multi-family dwelling was converted from residential to residential and commercial with the insertion of a store on the first floor and four apartments above. In 1941 as the neighborhood changed and more housing was needed, it was converted from small apartments into single room occupancy with 23 rooms. Then in 1968, the major alteration that created the current appearance of the building was completed. This change built a new front wall and inserted a new floor into the building. The basically new building housed doctor’s offices and 2 apartments on the lower levels with 12 apartments above.
Block : 468 / Lot : 035 / Building Date : 1862 / Original Owner : Hamilton Fish / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown