207 Second Avenue | Block : 468 | Lot #34
Description & Building Alterations
Built circa 1862, 207 Second Avenue was one of four single-family rowhouses built along Second Avenue and developed by Hamilton Fish. As the corner unit, 207 also contained a rear-yard brick building. This building was likely a private stable, but could have also functioned as a commercial space. In 1896, the main building was extended out into the rear yard, expanding the East 13th Street facade by one window bay. At this point it seems that the house was converted into a multiple-family dwelling.
The Italianate stone window surrounds have been shaved down, and one bay of windows on East 13th Street has been filled in. The original raised-stoop entrance and door surround have also been lost, but the cornice has been retained.
Block : 468 / Lot : 034 / Building Date : 1862 / Original Owner : Hamilton Fish / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown