78 East 2nd Street; 76-78 East 2nd Street | Block : 444 | Lot #47
Description & Building Alterations
The original row house at No. 76-78 East 2nd Street was built along with No. 80 East 2nd Street as a single two-and-a-half story row house occupying the right half of the lot. It was designed in the Greek Revival-style with Italianate and Federal elements for owner Ernest Keyser in 1836-37, just a few years after the founding of the New York Marble Cemetery in its backyard.
This building was raised to three stories and a four-story extension was built on the left half sometime in the late 19th century. The original 1837 building features Flemish bond brickwork, while running bond brickwork marks the raised third floor and the left extension. The facade also features a modillioned cornice and brownstone lintels and sills.
Block : 444 / Lot : 047 / Building Date : 1836-37 / Original Owner : Ernest Keyser / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown