80 East 2nd Street | Block : 444 | Lot #45
Description & Building Alterations
The original row house at No. 80 East 2nd Street was built along with Nos. 76-78 East 2nd Street as a single two-and-a-half story row house occupying the right half of the lot. It was designed in the Greek Revival-style with Italianate and Federal elements for owner Ernest Keyser in 1837, just a few years after the founding of the New York Marble Cemetery in its back yard.
The facade features Flemish-bond brickwork from 1837 and running bond brickwork from 1880, at which point a two-story extension was built on the right half of the lot. In 1883, the two-and-a-half-story house together with its extension was raised to three full stories. The facade has a modillioned cornice, brownstone lintels, and sills.
Block : 444 / Lot : 045 / Building Date : 1836-37 / Original Owner : Ernest Keyser / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown