431 East 9th Street | Block : 437 | Lot #37
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story, three-bay tenement was designed by Shneider & Herter, constructed in 1888 for Charles Ruff.
The building facade contains most of the original details, including a segmental-arched pediment with the inscription “EAGLE” at center, topping the bracketed roof cornice. Other features include brick round arches with keystones and decorated tympanums, brick piers with foliated capitals, molded lintels with triangular pediments, and other terra-cotta ornaments.
The entrance portico is enframed by short fluted columns supporting a molded round arch with spandrels, capped by a bracketed door hood and continuous molding above first story.
Block : 437 / Lot : 037 / Building Date : 1888 / Original Owner : Charles Ruff / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Schneider & Herter