East Village Building Blocks

364-372 East 10th Street | Block : 392 | Lot #17

  • Building Date : 1873, 1884 & 1905
  • Original Use : Residential/Commercial
  • Original Owner : John Kropp, Peter Lyding & Louis Kotzen
  • Original Architect : William Jose, F.W. Klemt and Sass & Smallheiser

Description & Building Alterations

In 1980 the four buildings at 364-372 were combined into one complex with 51 apartments.  The front facades of these buildings are still largely intact.

364 and 366 East 10th Street or Lot 17 are the western most portion of the new building.  It was constructed on a double lot as a New-Law Tenement by Sass & Smallheiser in 1905 for Louis Katzen.  The 6-story tall, 7-bay wide, brick and terra cotta building originally housed 33 families on the upper floors with shops on the first.  Designed in the Neo-Classical style, the building is symmetrical with a double central-bay acting as the axis.  The intact splayed terra-cotta lintels with scrolled keystone and the Corinthian pilasters on the sixth floor are indicative of the style.  The building would have originally featured a pressed-metal cornice.  The rear of the lot also once housed a stable, also designed by Sass & Smallheiser.  368 and 370 East 10th Street are located on lots 19 and 20.  The buildings were two identical tenements designed by William Jose in 1873 and owned by John Kropp.  The 5-story tall, 4-bay wide Italianate tenements once housed four families per floor above first floor shops.  The missing cornice, which may have had an arched pediment similar to that found at 269 East 10th Street and a raised stoop entrance differentiated these two buildings from their neighbors. 372 East 10th Street, on Lot 21, is the eastern most portion of the combined complex.  The 5-story tall, 4-bay wide brick and stone tenement feature Neo-Grec details.  Designed by F.W. Klemt in 1884, the incised window lintels and stone belt-courses were popular in residential designs.  The building’s pilasters that span floors three and four give the facade additional interest.  The missing cornice, raised stoop entrance and ground floor shops have been removed over the years.

Block : 392 / Lot : 017-021 / Building Date : 1873, 1884 & 1905 / Original Owner : John Kropp, Peter Lyding & Louis Kotzen / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : William Jose, F.W. Klemt and Sass & Smallheiser

Do you know this building? Please share your own stories or photos of this building here!

Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial