289 East 4th Street | Block : 387 | Lot #42
Description & Building Alterations
This two story brick house of worship was built in 1879 as a synagogue by B’nai Israel Congregation and designed by William H. Cauvet. In 1895, a permit was filed to build a tenement here, together with the one at 291 East 4th Street, but it appears not to have been built. By 1899, the property was being used by the Bohemian Roman Catholic Church and in 1919, the first building permit on file for the property is found, recording the property as a synagogue. A tax photo from the 1940’s, shows a great deal of ornamentation from when the building was a synagogue has been lost or painted over. The large circle above the door was once a window. It is two stories, three bays with a symmetrical facade. There is a stepped gable end and the front entry is recessed. Today the building is a church for the Iglesia Pentecostal Congregation.
Block : 387 / Lot : 042 / Building Date : 1879/ Original Owner : B’nai Israel Congregation / Original Use : Synagogue / Original Architect : William H. Cauvet