199 Second Avenue | Block : 468 | Lot #38
Description & Building Alterations
A pair of twin five story buildings, 199 and 197 Second Avenue were built in 1878 as French Flats designed by William Jose. The buildings each had one flat per floor, for a total of four families in each building. This class of buildings were some of the earliest types of middle-class apartment housing seen in New York City and unlike tenements, it was marketed and attracted a wealthier clientele.
Little now remains of the original detailing other than the metal cornice. The brownstone facade, which has been stuccoed and painted, would have once had projecting window lintels and sills and a projecting entry surround atop a raised-stoop. The stoop was removed in 1914, replacing the doorway with an over-sized window and introducing commercial space to the new first floor.
Block : 468 / Lot : 038 / Building Date : 1878 / Original Owner : Jacob Schmitt / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : William Jose