99 Avenue A; 445 East 6th Street | Block : 434 | Lot #34
Description & Building Alterations
This Italianate four-story building was constructed in c. 1849 and has undergone a few alterations. This property and those north and south of it were owned by John J. Astor prior to development. It is located in the East Village/Lower East Side Historic District.
The present facade features a galvanized-iron frieze and cornice with a pediment. Other historic details like the window lintels and sills of the upper stories have been shaved and facade of the lower stories resurfaced. More information can be found in the Designation Report, linked in the “Additional Resources” section.
Block : 434 / Lot : 034 / Building Date : c. 1849 / Original Owner : Nicholas Baker / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown