96 Third Avenue; 92-96 Third Avenue | Block : 558 | Lot #32
Description & Building Alterations
These three four-story row houses were built between 1837 and 1839 for Thorp Harris in the Greek Revival style. The 1838 tax assessment records is missing, so the exact owner and year of construction is uncertain. Each building is constructed in painted brick, and the cornice that lines their roofs, which likely dates to a later alteration, is decorated with corbels and modillions. The windows have cap-molded lintels, but some have plain lintels – likely a result of the removal of structurally insecure cap-molded lintels. These structures have not undergone much exterior alteration, other than at the ground level.
Since 1926, these buildings have been mixed-use spaces. Records show that in 1926, the cellar was used for storage, the first floors were restaurants and stores, and the upper floors were dwellings with one family per floor.
Block : 558 / Lot : 32 / Building Date : 1837-39 / Original Owner : Thorp Harris / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown