Description & Building Alterations
This 4 story brick row house was constructed in circa 1834-35. It was originally in the Federal style and has been altered with Greek Revival and Italianate details. There is historic ironwork on the stoop and a decorative wrought-iron fire escape. The building features Flemish bond brickwork, a Greek Revival style entryway, bracketed window sills, molded lintels, and a bracketed cornice with frieze panels. In 1857-58, the attic story was expanded into a full third story and a fourth story was added. A storefront was installed in 1914.
Around the early 1900s, this building housed a union hall utilized by different labor organizations. It was known as the Royal Hall from the 1910s to the 1920s, and the Mansion Hall in the 1930s.
In the 1920s, Lucky Luciano’s Palm Casino, which included a brothel, restaurant, speakeasy and gambling area, was located at this address. The business’ owner, Charles “Lucky” Luciano, considered the father of modern organized crime in America, was born Salvatore Lucania on November 24, 1897 in Sicily, Italy. He grew up in apartment five at 265 East 10th Street, and was known for emphasizing the importance of omertà, or oath of silence.
Since 1993, 85 East 4th Street has been home to the KGB Bar, the communist themed bar and literary venue where both noted and struggling writers do readings.
For more information about this building and the neighborhood, please click on the links under Reports.
Block : 460 / Lot : 44 / Building Date : 1834-1835 / Original Owner : Jacob Aimy / Original Use : Residential/ Original Architect : Unknown