57 St. Mark’s Place | Block : 450 | Lot #46
Description & Building Alterations
This four-story with basement building was originally erected in 1849-50 as a private dwelling for one family. It was used as a club house in the early 20th century, and then was turned into a church space occupied by the Holy Cross Polish National Catholic Church in the mid-20th century.
Most elements of the present facade probably date from mid-20th century or later. Features include the triangular pediment at the center roofline, and point-arched openings at first and second stories. The building also housed Club 57, a famous contemporary art venue which, significantly, featured many openly gay artists in the 1980s. Performers Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Kenny Scharf, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Ann Magnuson, Keith Haring, and RuPaul all emerged from this club and from the Pyramid Club at 101 Avenue A.
Block : 450 / Lot : 046 / Building Date : 1849-50 / Original Owner : William Smith / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown