56 Second Avenue | Block : 445 | Lot #2
Description & Building Alterations
The building was originally built as a Greek Revival-style row house in 1841 for owner John Valentine, who also owned the house at 54 Second Avenue.
In 1904-06, alterations designed by architect Dr. G. E. Goldsmith for commercial use were conducted. In 1928, under architect John B. Reschke, the lower floors were transformed into a mission house of the New York Jewish Evangelical Society, with the third floor serving as the residence for the minister’s family. The alterations probably brought the new Classical Revival-style facade.
The building today features a pedimented cornice, pedimented entrance enframements, and historic eight-over-one windows on the second story.
Block : 445 / Lot : 002 / Building Date : 1841, 1928 / Original Owner : John Valentine(1841), New York Jewish Evangelical Society (1928) / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown (1841), John B. Reschke (1928)