East Village Building Blocks

437 East 12th Street; 437-439 East 12th Street | Block : 440 | Lot #40

  • Building Date : 1904
  • Original Use : Residential/Commercial
  • Original Owner : Henry Lippmann
  • Original Architect : Sass & Smallheiser

Description & Building Alterations

This six-story brick and terra cotta new law tenement was constructed in 1904 for stores and 39 families. It was designed by Sass & Smallheiser for owner Henry Lippmann. The building features splayed lintels with large keystones and outsize brackets, brick quoins, a bracketed cornice with a decorated frieze, attached pilasters at the sixth story, ornamented beltcourses, and two symmetrical basket-style fire escapes on the facade. This is a dumbbell tenement with unusually large airshafts.

From 1964 until 1968, Ernestine Eckstein (1941-1992) lived in this building. A prominent activist and lesbian of color, Eckstein had worked with the NAACP in her native Indiana and later the Congress for Racial Equality (CORE) in New York City before becoming the vice president of the New York Chapter of the Daughters of Bilitis (DOB), the first lesbian-rights organization in America, during the time she lived here. She took part in two of the earliest pickets for gay rights in the country, both in 1965: a July 4th picket of Independence Hall in Philadelphia, and an October 23rd picket in front of the White House, both designed to call attention to the discrimination faced by lesbian and gay people. Eckstein was the first lesbian of color to appear on the cover of the DOB magazine The Ladder, of which she became the editor in 1963. Under Eckstein’s leadership, the magazine began to for the first time feature pictures of actual self-identified lesbians on the cover, rather than line drawings that had previously been used to preserve anonymity. Eckstein tried to push the DOB, a relatively conservative “homophile” organization, in a more progressive direction, but felt stymied; she stepped down as Vice President in 1966 and left for the Bay Area, where she continued her work with black feminist and lesbian issues.

This building was also the home of writers and life partners Allen Ginsberg and Peter Orlovsky, as well as punk legend Richard Hell. Between 1975 and 1996, Ginsberg divided his time between this apartment and Boulder, Colorado, where he founded the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics with poet Anne Waldman. While here, he was inducted into the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters in 1979.

Block : 440 / Lot : 040 / Building Date : 1904 / Original Owner : Henry Lippmann / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Sass & Smallheiser

Do you know this building? Please share your own stories or photos of this building here!

Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial