40 Avenue C | Block : 373 | Lot #1
Description & Building Alterations
This handsome building with rolled iron cornice, central bay, and stone belt course was built in 1844 for Samuel S. Newman as a residence and shop. Formerly a four story building, in 1907 the building was extensively altered when the owner Sigmund Kraus shortened it to three stories; rebuilt the front and rear walls; lowered a rear building to two stories and connected it to the main house; inserted new windows on the south façade; and built a new storefront. In 2009, the storefront which accommodated a restaurant was altered.
Block : 373 / Lot : 001 / Building Date : 1844 / Original Owner : Samuel S. Newman / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown