359-361 Bowery; 48 East 4th St | Block : 459 | Lot #8
Description & Building Alterations
No. 359 Bowery is a four-story building with a one-story extension that houses a restaurant.
The building was originally constructed in 1831 by David Baker, presumably as a 2.5-story house, and was raised to four stories in the mid- to late-19th century. The cornice and stoop of this building have been removed. Where the one-story restaurant now exists (on the corner of Bowery & East 4th Streets) formerly stood another 2.5-story house from 1831, also originally owned by Baker, that retained its original peaked roof and massing until all but its first story was demolished in the 1940s. That building housed the Old Landmark Restaurant & Bar for nearly a century.
The historic cornice was removed sometime after the 1980s.
Block : 459 / Lot : 008/ Building Date : 1831 / Original Owner : David Baker / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown