340 East 4th Street (Building 1) | Block : 373 | Lot #23
Description & Building Alterations
This building lot contains two buildings that were built separately and later combined. The five story building on the eastern side of the lot was built in 1890 by M. Solomon of 266 Henry as one of two 20 family tenement buildings. The new building permits indicate that the tenements were faced with brownstone and cost $25,000 each to construct. The six story building at the western end of the lot was built in 1899 by Adolf Mandel of 157 Rivington Street for $38,000.
Block : 373 / Lot : 023-1 / Building Date : 1890 / Original Owner : M. Solomon / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Charles Rentz