339 East 6th Street | Block : 448 | Lot #36
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story tenement was erected simultaneously with No. 337 East 6th Street in 1874 (the building date in the EV/LES HD designation report is incorrect). The two buildings share the same facade, designed by the same architect William Jose, and have undergone the same alterations. This building was to be occupied by four families per floor and stores on the ground level.
The building features pedimented and molded window lintels with ornaments, molded sills supported by brackets, an original bracketed galvanized-iron cornice with elaborate decorations and a segmental-arched pediment at the center, and cast-iron pilasters on the first floor.
The historic cornice and frieze above the first floor have been removed. The storefront was infilled with red brick sometime between 1940 and 1980.
Block : 448 / Lot : 036 / Building Date : 1874 / Original Owner : L. Samuels / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : William Jose