217 East 12th Street | Block : 468 | Lot #53
Description & Building Alterations
Built as a row house for one family in 1855, this four story Italianate building retains its cornice, but little else of its original design. The once projecting brownstone lintels have been removed, the raised-stoop and decorative entryway have been replaced with a simple entry on the ground floor, and the ground floor has been resurfaced. Although it was built to house one family, by the mid-20th century the building had been converted into single furnished rooms, with 23 rooms. In 1952 it was converted into apartments with two apartments per floor.
Block : 468 / Lot : 053 / Building Date : 1855 / Original Owner : Stephen Squires / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown