551 East 12th Street; 196 Avenue B | Block : 406 | Lot #39
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story tenement was built in 1848 for owner John R. Roberts. Various records indicate that the building was originally four stories in height. By 1911, a fifth story had been added. Its red brick facade is accented by sandstone trim and capped by a bracketed cornice. Stanley’s Bar, a bohemian bar at the center of the East Village underground community between 1962 and 1966, ran out of this building. Run by Stanley Tolkin, it offered inexpensive drinks and live piano music. Allen Ginsberg, Ishmael Reed, and Ed Sanders were a few of the bar’s patrons.
Block : 406 / Lot : 039 / Building Date : 1848 / Original Owner : John R. Roberts / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown