135 East 2nd Street | Block : 429 | Lot #28
Description & Building Alterations
This is a five story building with an elaborate front of brick and Indiana limestone stone, originally used as a rectory for St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church (since demolished). The building was designed by Francis W. Herter in 1903. It features pointed-arched windows and lintels that evoke the Gothic Revival style of St. Nicholas. The five-story building has a red brick facade with an “Indiana bluestone” trim. The pointed window lintels are made of stone at the lower floors and brick and stone at the upper floors. There is a corbeled gable set against the top story with finialed piers on either side.
Block : 429 / Lot : 028 / Building Date : 1903 / Original Owner : St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church / Original Use : Institutional / Original Architect : Francis W. Herter