129 East 10th Street | Block : 466 | Lot #43
Description & Building Alterations
This house was built simultaneously with its neighbor at 127 East 10th Street in 1854 as a fashionable single-family home. Five stories high and three bays wide, the facade straddles the Greek Revival and Italianate architectural styles, displaying flavors of both in ornament and composition.
In 1903 the building was combined with Number 127 by the New York Mission and Tract Society to provide housing for mission workers serving the neighborhood, and in 1933 the combined houses were purchased by St. Mark’s Church and were operated as a residence club. This house is a part of the St. Mark’s Historic District, more information on which can be found in the Landmarks Preservation Commission’s designation report.
Block : 466 / Lot : 43 / Building Date : 1854 / Original Owner : John Harriott & Bartolome Blanco / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown