121 East 7th Street | Block : 435 | Lot #42
Description & Building Alterations
This three-story with basement building was constructed in 1843-45 as a row house. In 1903, it was altered into the Gothic Revival First Hungarian Reformed Church and its rectory by architect Fred Ebeling. In 1904 the front facade was extended to the street line and the bell tower was added.
The building was sold to the Christian Orthodox Catholic Church of the Eastern Confession in North America in 1916, and to the Church of St. Peter & St. Paul Russian Orthodox Church in 1935. It was then purchased by St. Mary’s American Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in 1961. The three-bay wide church is clad in an artificial stone surface as the result of a 1961 alteration. The building features a short central bell tower with a Slavic cross covered by a hipped roof above a fourth story window, round arched openings at the first story, pointed arched openings at the second and third stories, and a decorative painted transom over the center entrance.
Block : 435 / Lot : 042 / Building Date : 1843-45/1903 alt. / Original Owner : Hungarian Reformed Church / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Frederick Ebeling