111-115 East 7th Street | Block : 435 | Lot #45
Description & Building Alterations
This six-story, nine-bay wide Renaissance Revival-style apartment house was built in 1901 for occupancy by 56 families.
A map of East Village art-related sites from 1983 (see sidebar) shows that the International Monument was at this location.
The seven-story brick apartment house is essentially two buildings with a shared base and uniform front facade with open windows between the two linked buildings. The facade features a stone clad first- story with the name, “McKinley” placed over the central entrance. Decorative stone and terra-cotta window surrounds, string courses, spandrel panels, quoining, a stone balcony at the sixth story and other decorative features are found throughout the front facade. A bracketed cornice with ornate frieze is found at the roofline.
Block : 435 / Lot : 045 / Building Date : 1901 / Original Owner : Leon Sobel & Louis Kean / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Michael Bernstein