East Village Building Blocks

109 Third Avenue | Block : 469 | Lot #7501

  • Building Date : 1837
  • Original Use : Residential/Commercial
  • Original Owner : William Stone
  • Original Architect : Unknown

Description & Building Alterations

Formerly two separate lots, the buildings at 109 Third Avenue have been combined as Lot 7501. The smaller of the two, owned by William Stone, was constructed as a Federal style row house with three full floors and an attic level with dormer windows in 1837. Now heavily altered, little remains of the Federal details, but the fourth floor windows give a hint of the dormers that were once there. The second and third floors were originally two bays wide with shuttered windows.

These two buildings have been combined and house the flagship store for Kiehl’s Since 1851. Founder John Kiehl started his career as an employee at Englehardt & Huber Apothecary at the corner of Third Avenue and East 13th Street. Englehardt and Huber were the store’s second owners, and had purchased it from German immigrant Louis Brunswick. Brunswick has started selling herbs and oils at his Brusnwick Apotheke in 1851. John Kiehl began working at the apothecary when he was approximately 20 years old, and in 1921, his apprentice Irving Moskovitz took over the store. In 1959, Moskovitz (now using the surname Morse) was running the store and Kiehl’s was moved next door to 109 Third Avenue. In 1961, Morse’s son began operating Kiehl’s and revamped the brand into what it is today. For more information on the evolution of Kiehl’s and its life in this building and the one next door, click on the link to our Off the Grid blog post.

Block : 469 / Lot : 7501 / Building Date : 1837 / Original Owner : William Stone / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown

Do you know this building? Please share your own stories or photos of this building here!

Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial