103-107 East 7th Street | Block : 435 | Lot #49
Description & Building Alterations
This two-story with tower, Gothic Revival-style church was built in 1900-01 for the St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr Church. It was designed by the church’s architect Arthur Arctander. The Roman Catholic Church of St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr, founded in 1873, is the church of the oldest Polish Roman Catholic congregation in Manhattan. In 1999 and 2001, Polish president Lech Walesa visited this church.
The brick church features a tripartite facade divided by engaged pilasters. Three pointed arced entrances are found at the first story and Gothic arched stained-glass windows are found at the second story. The squared bell tower features a thin steeple, stone finials, and pinnacles at the roof line. A cornerstone on the western corner of the church reads “A.D. 1900.”
Block : 435 / Lot : 049 / Building Date : 1900-01 / Original Owner : St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr Church / Original Use : Religious Institution / Original Architect : Arthur Arctander