100 East 4th Street | Block : 445 | Lot #16
Description & Building Alterations
The three story with basement building was built in 1847-48. It went through a series of alterations in 1895 and 1911 designed by Kurtzer & Rohl, and in 1954 it was redesigned by Jerome W. Perlstein. The building was originally occupied by one family, though by the middle of the 20th century was converted into multiple dwellings, including space for a club and office on the basement and first floor levels. In the mid-1950s, the building was utilized entirely for offices.
The building features a a simple bracketed cornice. Its facade is similar to the adjacent building, No. 102 East 4th Street. Between the 1940s and 1980s the ground floor was reconfigured, the stoop was removed, the molded lintels were removed, and the entrance was moved to the basement. After the 1980s, the original cornice was removed and a replacement was added to unify the two buildings at Nos. 100-102 East 4th Street.
Block : 445 / Lot : 016 / Building Date : 1847-48 / Original Owner : F. V. Bird / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown