66 East 7th Street | Block : 448 | Lot #17
Description & Building Alterations
This six-story old law tenement was designed in 1897 by George Frederick Pelham, who also designed many other buildings in the East Village/Lower East Side Historic District. The Renaissance Revival-style facade features an entrance enframed by marble columns with Composite capitals supporting an arched entablature. Other characters include pediments, round-arched molding, gauged brick arches above the window openings, a keystone with figural carving, beltcourses, and a top-hat three-part modillioned cornice with curving brackets and a foliate frieze. The second through sixth-story windows are outlined in terra-cotta. The full frieze and cornice, which runs across the two storefronts, remain intact at the storefront level.
Block : 448 / Lot : 017 / Building Date : 1897 / Original Owner : Bernard Klingenstein / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : George Frederick Pelham