635 East 9th Street | Block : 392 | Lot #45
Description & Building Alterations
Built as a pair of twin buildings, 635 East 9th Street and 639 East 9th Street (demolished 1985) were designed by Sass & Smallheiser in 1899. Each building housed 22 families on the upper five floors with ground floor shops. Brick patterns lend interest to the simple Renaissance Revival facade and the pilasters that then support two wide arches on the fifth floor that, stretched across both buildings, would have given an arcade-like effect. The entire facade is then set off by terra-cotta details, primarily the scallop shell motif.
Block : 392 / Lot : 045 / Building Date : 1899 / Original Owner : Jacob Sommer / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Sass & Smallheiser