415 East 6th Street | Block : 434 | Lot #50
Description & Building Alterations
This neo-Classical two-story with basement building was constructed as a house in 1841 and converted to a “tenement synagogue” in 1910 by architect Herman Horenburger. It is located in the East Village/Lower East Side Historic District. The congregation associated with the church, Congregation Adas Yisroel Anshe Mezeritz, was founded in 1892 by Polish immigrants and named for the town of Mezritch.
The present facade features some of the original decorations including the round-arched windows with stained glass in the center of the top story, flanked by two rectangular windows with round-arched transoms; the engaged stone pilasters with Corinthian capitals and carved stone keystones over the doors and windows; and the engraved plaques with the name and dates of the building. Horenburger tastefully lined up features of the synagogue with features of the tenement buildings on the east and west sides.
Block : 434 / Lot : 050 / Building Date : 1841 / Original Owner : Unknown / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown