414 East 10th Street; 412 East 10th Street | Block : 379 | Lot #15
Description & Building Alterations
Built as a T-shaped building, 412 East 10th Street was constructed in 1903 as a 6-story brick New-Law tenement building with shops on the first floor and a bakery in the cellar. It was designed by Sass & Smallheiser for Dr. Henry Schlesinger and constructed of brick with terra-cotta details. The slightly projecting end bays differentiate this building from its neighbors.
In 1940, one of the first floor shops was replaced with an apartment and the remaining storefront was altered to make it flush with facade. The first floor, which is now completely residential, was further altered by the addition of faux stones to the facade. The building’s cornice was also removed at some point.
The building was home to blues and folk musician Huddie “Lead Belly” Ledbetter in the 1940s (read more here and here).
Block : 379 / Lot : 015 / Building Date : 1903 / Original Owner : Dr. Henry Schlesinger / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Sass & Smallheiser