333 East 6th Street | Block : 448 | Lot #39
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story with basement tenement was erected in 1882 in the neo-Grec style. Built to accommodate two families per floor and a janitor’s apartment in the basement, additional apartments were created on the first, fourth and fifth stories in the mid 20th century.
The facade features a brownstone base, brownstone foliate lintels and fluted pilasters enframing the windows on the first floor. At the upper stories are brownstone hooded lintels, simple rectangular sills, and a bracketed metal cornice.
In 1980, No. 333 East 6th Street became the first reported application of a law passed in 1979 that allowed tenants in heatless buildings to purchase fuel and deduct the cost from their rent (East Village/Lower East Side Historic District Designation Report).
Block : 448 / Lot : 039 / Building Date : 1882 / Original Owner : Anna Breller / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Albert Wagner