309 East 6th Street | Block : 448 | Lot #51
Description & Building Alterations
This four-story with basement building was built in 1852 as part of a pair with No. 311 East 6th Street. The facades of No. 309 and No. 311 are mirror-images of one another. They each feature a rusticated brownstone base, round-arched main entrance on first floor, and brick corbelling at the roofline. The window lintels and sills have been simplified.
The two buildings held a Jewish organization, the Emanu-El Brotherhood, from 1911 to 1960. They were later occupied by YMHA/YWHA. The rehabilitation center Odyssey House, Inc. moved into the buildings in 1979.
Block : 448 / Lot : 051 / Building Date : 1852 / Original Owner : Charles Cooper / Original Use : Institutional / Original Architect : Unknown