247 East 7th Street | Block : 377 | Lot #64
Description & Building Alterations
Lot 64 is occupied by a three-story building, now owned by the Inglesia Cristiana Misionera. The ground level has been altered with a brick façade. The 1940s tax photo shows that the ground level used to mirror the top two and the entrance was on the right with a box staircase. Also in the photo, the roof was topped with a pedimented parapet. Its original owner, William Henry Webb, is known as one of the greatest shipbuilders of his time. His shipyard along the East River, part of the Dry Dock District, built more than 130 ships which included packets, clippers and steamers.
In the 1880s-1900s, the row houses on East 7th Street were known as “Political Row,” where many politicians lived. But soon, some were torn down to make room for tenement buildings. 247 East 7th Street was the home of Dock Commissioner, John Monks. In 1893, the architect Walter H.C. Hornum converted the building into the Tammany-affiliated Jefferson Club. The Jefferson was organized in 1877, and this location was frequented by the old residents of Political Row, such as local favorite Chamberlain Patrick Keenan. The Jefferson Club often held big and small events for its members.
Block : 377 / Lot : 064 / Building Date : 1844/1893 alt. / Original Owner : William Henry Webb / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Walter H.C. Hornum (1893 alt)