170 Second Avenue | Block : 452 | Lot #6
Description & Building Alterations
This 15-story brick building, known as the Peter Stuyvesant Apartments, was constructed in 1927 by architects Segal & Sohn for owner Saul Birns, a prominent property-owner in the East Village. Prior to construction, The New York Historical Society was located on this lot in a two-story building designed by Mettam & Burke from 1857 until 1908, when it moved to its current Central Park West location.
The present building features window surrounds at the third, sixth, and thirteenth to fifteenth stories, molded banding, engaged piers, decorative panels beneath the roof line, and roping details at the building’s corners. The recessed point-arched window opening with spandrels and floral details on the north facade appears to be a former entrance.
Block : 452 / Lot : 006 / Building Date : 1929 / Original Owner : Saul Birns / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Segal & Sohn