16-20 East 7th Street | Block : 462 | Lot #7
Description & Building Alterations
The St. George Ukrainian Catholic Church at 30 East 7th Street was constructed in 1978. The congregation, which is in communion with the Church of Rome, dates to services at St. Brigid’s Roman Catholic Church in Tompkins Square in 1890. In 1911, the congregation moved to the Seventh Street Methodist Church, a Greek Revival church built in 1836 on the present site. The congregation then added a squat tower with five onion domes to the the top of the front gable. The current Byzantine, Romanesque-style building was designed by the Ukrainian-born architect Apollinaire Osadca. The north entrance bears colored, gold-background mosaics.
Block : 462 / Lot : 7 / Building Date : 1978 / Original Owner : St. George Ukrainian Catholic Church / Original Use : Institutional / Original Architect : Apollinare Osadca