147 Avenue A | Block : 437 | Lot #30
Description & Building Alterations
This four-bay wide, five-story tenement was originally erected in 1853. It used to house the office of The East Village Other, one of the nation’s first underground papers. The East Village Other helped initiate the Underground Press Syndicate, a nation-wide syndication network that made it possible for papers in small towns to emerge all over the country.
The building today features exposed brick facing, thin molded lintels in neo-Grec style, and engaged pilasters flanking the main entry. The historical cornice has been removed from the facade.
Block : 437 / Lot : 030 / Building Date : 1853 / Original Owner : John Hoach / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown