106 Avenue C; 231 East 7th Street | Block : 377 | Lot #72
Description & Building Alterations
Lot 72 is occupied by a Viennese Secession-style three-story building originally constructed in 1923 and designed by the twentieth century Modern architect, Eugene Schoen. This was one of the many Public National Bank of New York buildings Schoen designed between 1921 and 1930. He was influenced heavily by Viennese architects, as you can see in the painted terra cotta above the entrance. This terra cotta was manufactured by the New York Architectural Terra Cotta Co.
In 1954, the building was bought and converted into the Stuyvesant Nursing Home. An intermediate story was constructed between the first and second stories and an entrance was created on the 7th Street side by Henry G. Harris. Then in the 1980s, the building was converted into apartments by artist and furniture craftsman Richard Artschwager and his wife, Catherine A. Kord. This building was designated a New York City Landmark in 2008.
Block : 377 / Lot : 072 / Building Date : 1923 / Original Owner : Public National Bank of New York / Original Use : Institutional / Original Architect : Eugene Schoen