104-108 St. Mark’s Place | Block : 435 | Lot #16
Description & Building Alterations
This brick building was constructed in 1907 as a school and dwelling for St. Stanislaus Roman Catholic Church. Originally a 2-story, 5-bay-wide brick building, a third story was added in 1925 by architect Louis A. Sheinart.
The present facade features simple rectangular window lintels and decorative quoins flanking the building. Today, the building is used as an academy and a Polish and Slavic center. On the playground, previous lot 18, there used to be a 1-story brick outhouse built in 1905, but it was demolished in 1968. Also in 1968, a 1-story concrete-block sidewalk shed was erected.
Block : 435 / Lot : 016 / Building Date : 1907, 1925 / Original Owner : St. Stanislaus Roman Catholic Church / Original Use : Institutional / Original Architect : Arthur Arctander Co.(1907), Louis A. Sheinart(1925)